Probus IT Group – Monday 16-9-2019The following are some notes from our meeting 16th September 2019
Guard your Information
Our personal information is important and valuable. Consider who you provide Information to and how much.
Keep your personal details secure.
- Put a lock on your mailbox
- Shred your bills and other important documents before throwing them out.
- Keep your passwords and pin numbers in a safe place.
- Be very careful about how much personal information you share on social media sites. Scammers can use your information and pictures to create a fake identity or to target you with a scam.
Protecting yourself from scams
Scammers are getting increasingly sophisticated in their attempts to get our money or personal details. Be alert and protect yourself from being scammed.
Remember – Scams target everyone
Everyone is a potential target, scammers don’t discriminate, and will target people of any gender, age-group or socio-economic background. Scamming money out of people is a lucrative business for fraudsters.
Types of Scams!
We probably have all heard of some of these…?
- Attempts to gain your personal information
- Buying or selling
- Dating & romance
- Fake charities
- Jobs & employment
- Threats & extortion
- Unexpected money
- Unexpected winnings
If an offer looks too good to be true, it probably is.
There’s no such thing as a get-rich-quick scheme. The only people who make money are the scammers.
The following is the slide show used in the session
Links to resources
- Scamwatch – https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/
- Report a scam – https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission – https://www.accc.gov.au/taxonomy/term/160
- Consumer Affairs Victoria – https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/resources-and-tools/scams/consumer-scams
- StaySmartOnline – (Australian Cyber Security Centre) https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/protect-yourself
Scams & keeping ourselves protected online