Friendship, Fellowship and Fun
TAYLORS LAKES HOTEL
10:00 am on Monday 24th February 2020
- WELCOME and HOUSEKEEPING – (by President)
- Location of Toilets and Emergency Exits
- Mobile Phones to be on silent or vibrate, with calls to be taken outside of the meeting room.
- Active Retirees Magazine available from welcome desk..
- HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Thank you to the committee and club helpers, today is the last day for nominations for 2020 committee.
- A reminder to ensure you are current with your injections, I encourage you to remain fit and well to help you maintain your immune system.
- Last week one of our members had a fall on the slippery path during our weekly walk. Whilst feeling fine, a reminder to register incidents with the club secretary should there be issues later.
- PRESIDENT REPORT
- Endorsement of Minutes of January General Meeting
MOTION: That the minutes of the January General Meeting, as distributed, be accepted as a true and accurate record: Moved: Jenny Barratt 2nd: Nilda Escalante. Carried
- Matters arising from Committee of Management Meeting:
- The committee allocates considerable time ensuring we have enjoyable activities planned for all members.
- Following correspondence from Keilor East Community Bank/Bendigo Bank it was decided to continue our banking with Commonwealth Bank Keilor Downs.
- Our club website continues to evolve with big thanks to Chris Smith. You can now view photos and download them, current and past newsletters, calendar events and the club history.
4. SECRETARY’S REPORT
- Brimbank City Council acknowledged payment of $600, our approved Community Grant.
- Probus Association of Victoria is exploring the possibility of holding the August 2020 quarterly meeting at Taylors Lakes Hotel. Should this occur it would be the first time in 35 years that meetings have been held in the western suburbs. This has been a result of having Bruce Verlander, Graeme Hewitt and Mary Smith attend the November 2019 meeting.
- Today is the last day for nominations for the election of Committee Members and Officers for 2020-2021.
- The AGM is at the 23 rdMarch GM…
5. TREASURER REPORT
Financial Position as at end of previous month:
Balance @ 31/01/2020 $11,951.90.
MOTION: That the Treasurer’s Report be accepted:
Moved: Rob Louden 2nd: Sabina Anderson Carried
6. ACTIVITES & EVENTS UPDATE
- Anne Newger gave her report as Events Co-ordinator.
- Forthcoming activities are included in the latest Newsletter.
- Bus outing to Noorilim Homestead Murchison, lunch at Shepparton Club and visit to SPC on April 3rd April.
This trip costs $45.00, is subsidised by the club and requires a $10.00 deposit. We have received significant support for the trip and will decide if a second bus is needed.
- Greg Sibley reminded members of Golf Day at Keilor Golf Club on the Monday following the GM. He also is seeking support for return of Barefoot Bowls and Croquet.
- Mary Smith reminded that Barbara Arnold’s Craft Group meets on the first Wednesday of the month and Games/Cards on the third Thursday of the month.
- Brian from Deer Park Probus Club advised his club is organising a trip to Lakes Entrance during the last week of September to support the local community. The cost to be determined on final numbers traveling.
- Bruce Verlander advised TLH are having a Bushfire Appeal Concert on Tuesday 25 th February at 6:30pm.
- Annual Trip away to Apollo Bay, request expressions of interest. Usually held in second or third week of October.
- The date for the fully escorted 21-day tour to Spain, Portugal & Morocco has been changed to November 2020.
- We have 97 active members, a reminder to always wear your club membership badge.
- 74 members attended the meeting along with 11 visitors and 10 apologies.
- Membership Fee of $50.00 is due 1st April.
MEMBER BEHIND THE BADGE –
Alan Dolby presented an interesting overview of his life. Alan is the third of five children. His mother migrated from UK and his father was from Ararat. His father saw active service in New Guinea and Japan. His family operated a milk bar in Footscray and supported the Footscray Football Club, now the Western Bulldogs. Alan has been presented with 50 years membership recognition, outstanding! The family moved to Essendon and then Airport West where he attended Niddrie Tech. Alan played football and Keith Greig was a teammate, Keith ultimately playing with North Melbourne and becoming a dual Brownlow Medallist. Alan joined the Department of Civil Aviation (now Airservices Australia) in the 1960’s as a radio technician. He married at 21 years of age and has two children. In 1973 he was based at Essendon Airport but during his career he travelled around Australia with radio installations and in 1975 also to Nadzab in Papua New Guinea. In 1992 he married his second wife Betty. After 47 years continuous employment he retired in 2014 and enjoys home improvements, cruising and travel.
GUEST SPEAKER: Trivia Quiz was organised by Graeme Hewitt and chaired by Anne Newger. A terrific time was had by all.
Meeting closed at 12:00 pm.