Yummy Buttery Baked treats, that can be made Gluten Free or with normal flour.
Gluten free crescents
Yummy baked buttery cresents
- Electric Mixer
- 1 Sachet Active Dry Yeast approx 7 grams
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten Free Plain Flour We used "Well and Good" Brand
- 1/4 cup Butter Softened, cut into small pieces
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp Butter Softened, for spreading and basting
- If its a cool day or in a cool kitchen, preheat oven to 40 degrees celcius or set oven to bread/dough raising setting
Proof the yeast
- Mix the yeast and 1 tbsp sugar together in a small glass bowl or glass.
- add the warm water
- allow to proof for 5 to 10 mins (this helps to activate the yeast)
Prepare the Dough
- In your electic mixer, using the paddle attachment,
- mix the flour and butter together, until it all the butter is incorporated without large chunks being left
- Transfer the mix to a large glass bowl and set asside
- In the stand mixer, combine the egg, salt, 3 tbsp sugar and proofed yeast, and beat on low till until all ingrediants are well combined
- slowly add the flour and butter mixture until a soft dough forms
- using a scraper make certain all the flour is combined with the mixture
- Is using the overn to raise the dough make certain it is not too hot before continuing
- If oven does not have a specific dough raising setting, best to tun it off at this stage
- Transfer ball of dough to the large glass bowl you previously used for the flour.
- Cover with a dry towel and place in the warm, oven or in another warm place.
- Leave to rise for 90 mins or until double is size
Forming the Crescents
- Forming the Crescents
- Using a rolling pin, roll into a 30cm (12 inch) circle.
- Gently spread approximately 2 tbsp softened butter on top of dough.
- Cut dough into 12 sections. Working from the outside, roll each individual triangle towards the center to create your crescent.
- Place on a baking paper lined cookie sheet, and repeat with remaining dough.
- Place rolls back in warm place or the warm oven.
- Cover with a towel, for a second rise, for 60 minutes.
Prepare to Bake
- After the second rise, remove rolls from oven, and preheat oven to 350 degrees celcius.
- While oven is heating, melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter.
- Brush each roll with a thin coat of butter to prevent over browning while baking.
- Once oven comes to temperature, bake rolls in oven for 12-15 minutes. (optional) Rotate pans halfway through the baking cycle.
- After rolls are done, remove from oven, and serve warm. If desired, brush with any remaining melted butter.
- Rolls may be frozen after cooling for later.
Gluten free crescents