Beef Stew for One
- Skillet or Small Dutch Oven
- 1 tbsp Canola Oil divided
- 170 g Beef Chuck Steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 1 stick Celery chopped
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Small Potato scrubbed & cubed
- 1 Carrot peeled & cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup Frozen Peas (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the canola oil in a skillet or small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season meat with the salt and pepper and brown on all sides. This will take roughly 10 minutes.
- Remove the beef from the pot and place on a plate.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of canola oil to the pot and stir in the chopped onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables. Stir until the there is no visible flour and the vegetables look slightly mushy from the flour coating, 3 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and dried thyme. Stir until the wine has reduced and thickens slightly.
- Add the broth and return the meat to the pot. Cover the pot, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Make sure the stew stays at a very low simmer.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the stew. Cover the pot again and continue cooking for another 25 minutes. When done, the meat should be tender and flake apart easily and the potatoes cooked through. If not, cover the pot again and cook in additional 15 minute increments until cooked
- Stir the peas into the stew. Taste and add extra salt if necessary.
I use chicken stock instead of beef stock in this stew recipe. Feel free to use beef broth if you would like. I find that beef stock tends to give the stew a “tinny” flavor so I like to use chicken stock instead. Stew for two:- just double the recipe. Enjoy
Beef Stew for One